Thursday, July 14, 2011

Time, what a funny thing.

"Time (as is well known) sometimes flies like a bird, sometimes crawls like a worm.  But a man feels particularly happy when he does not even notice whether it is passing quickly or quietly." from Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev.

Well folks, I've been in KY a couple days short of seven months.  Sometimes I thought time had stopped.  With the empty campus, still woods, and frozen roads, I was pretty sure that the earth had simply quit rotating too.
And there have been times where I was very sure that Red Bird Mission campus had fallen into a black hole which sped up to at least 5x the normal speed.  For example, that one time when Bob was sick and Craig was gone and Dennis was gone and I get back to campus late from the job site.  Walking up to the dining hall I meet Susanne who lets me know we're tag-teaming closing ceremony as the pastor in charge of Communion tells me she has to leave because of a death in the church family...what? Oh yeah and you should probably start dinner too. Craziness, and yet despite the chaos and rookie leaders.  Closing happened: work campers shared, we all worshipped and God was praised.  Or that time when we had 126 eighth graders and their chaperones.  CRAZY (warp speed for sure) but a blast!


 Mostly though, time has passed without much notice.  Time = the distance between the irregularities such as ASP with Fayette First UMC (Check out our super cool safety gear.  Are we ready for demolition or what?)
or Kate's visit (we had a good time at the lake and eating lunch at Abe Lincoln's uncle's house :)  Good times.) or biblically themed golf with the family.  (Kodak moment = Mills family on Noah's ark, hole 6)


or the Red Bird concert.  (I could go on pounce games with the Quest work crew, Berea with Katie and Lexi, Red Bird Mission bowling night, etc.)  Besides the 'changes to the plan' moments, calluses, tan lines, coffee addictions, morning routimes, and increasingly more stained clothes mark time's journey too.  From the state of my clothes, yep, I can tell I've definitely been here a bit.  Also, from the joy of mornings and from fun of swapping crewleader "war stories," time sauntered on by.  Thanks to the staff, to the volunteers, to the residents, and to God.  It's been an adventure and a half and there's even a little more left.  'Sparky' here still has a few outlets to wire and homes to crawl under.  Until I get home, happy summer to you all.  Can't wait to see you friends and just a tip, always wear a hat or bandana when heading to a construction site.  You'd be amazed at the creepy crawlies they prevent from reaching your happy hair ;) 

I better sign out.  Next week I work "where the blacktop ends", literally. Love you! 

1 comment:

  1. amen. time - and life - are crazy. can't wait to see you, give you a big hug, and hear many more details. love you.

    ReplyDelete