Saturday, February 12, 2011

One is the loneliest, nope, coldest number

Read on assured that this is not a whining post about my love-life.  No, this is a serious discussion of my survival yesterday.  It was a single digit day, temperature wise, this morning.  Single digit!!!!  That, my friends, is COLD.  However, I live to testify that even thin-blooded/cold-natured/cold-weather-wimps can survive in single digit weather.  I can't say that I enjoyed it, though.

Let's recap.  So, I get up and dress for work, the usual many, many layers.  (I must have had a premonition about the frigid nature of the great outdoors because I had a nightmare in which I went camping without my sleeping bag and shivered all night while my friends slept toasty-warm in their teal and brown mummy bags...)  Anyway, stepping outside was like getting slapped in the face by cold air.  The sunshine and sparkly snow were rather deceptive.  (Did you know powdery snow that melts just a little and then re-freezes becomes really sparkly snow?  It's pretty.)  Shoulders up to my ears, I practically run to the truck to ride for work.  I tell Blair the blatantly obvious, "It's COLD!"   He says yep only 9 degrees.  Nine!  Well, we drive the half-mile to work and the temperature drops: 9, 8, 7, 6.  I practically bolt out of the truck making a beeline for the chair nearest the heater for morning meeting.  "Blair, I had to get out of the truck before the temperature drops anymore," I said, "I came to Kentucky not the north pole!"  Of course Blair just laughs.  He's from Michigan, which is kind of like the north pole; it's a place where people think temperatures are even allowed to sport negative sings instead of a digit in the tens place, which is clearly madness.

See the snow :) Note: This is not the sparkly snow, but freshly fallen snow.

Now, I willingly admit that the day before was a snow day and super exciting.  It was a nearly legitimate snow storm.  All the snow came at once more or less so that you couldn't see 100yds away.  It was so neat.  I got to marvel at the snow a little bit longer than usual because I was accidentally left at work by my carpool (not a big deal, as it is less than a mile walk and it gave me plenty of ammunition to tease the two older fellows.) So, during the height of the snow 'storm', I walked back.  Everything was so quiet and white.  It was like Narnia during the reign of the white witch, for any C.S. Lewis nerds.  Nor was I the only one lost in wonder.  There is a man from AL that works up here too.  He was out walking his dog.  I think snow still fascinates most of us southerners :)  

The campfire on campus.

Never fear though.  It's not always snow covered here.  And the area is gorgeous, blue skies, tall trees, mountain ridges surrounding it all.  To quote Mary Bennett, "What are men compared to rocks and trees?"

Please ignore my mullet.  I'm going to get a haircut today.








No comments:

Post a Comment