Saturday, February 19, 2011

Not Quite the Next Betty Crocker

Well, I have some fun things to report. I attend the singles small group/Bible study on Monday nights.  We are right now reading Max Lucado's book Cast of Characters.  We also eat and watch Syracuse basketball, so we aren't paricularly serious.

Aren't we cute? Left to Right: Back row Duane, Angela Shoney, Tim.   Front row Terri, Linda, me :)

Our last escapade and first adventure I was party to was a progressive dinner.  It landed squarely on Valentines Day, which made me laugh.  The Volunteer Quarters were saddled with appetizers.  So  Duane and I prepared a yummy/easy course.  We made a veggie tray with ranch dip, stuffed cherry tomatoes, and spiced tea.  Yes, I felt rather accomplished.  I'm not great at it but love to play hostess.  Take a look at our lovely table.

The rest of the dinner was even more fabulous.  We sauntered the short walk down the sidewalk to Tim's apartment for crab bisque (Tim is our usual host).  Then we walked off our soup as we crossed the housing complex to Terri's for spinach-citrus salad.  Danielle, her daughter, kindly served as event photographer.   After, salad we headed to the other side of the volunteer quarters for the main course and a little Syracuse basketball.  Sryacuse won (Duane and Linda are from New York) so we celebrated as we feasted on turkey and ham, cinnamon-baked sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, and yeast rolls.  Mmmm.  Finally, a bit stuffed and reduced to more or less waddling back across campus.  We ended at Angela's for dessert and coffee.  I paired dark chocolate hot chocolate with chocolate pie, delicious!

So, I had quite a Valentines evening tons of food and much laughter.  It is an incredible crew: two school teachers, a former missionary to Africa turned Development Director, a Certified Public Accountant, Craft Market Associate, and me.  Sometimes, Tim will even speak Portuguese with me!  Score! 

1 comment:

  1. YUM. Sounds like a wonderful community you're all building up there.

    ReplyDelete